Nienke's premades
<meta name='google-adsense-platform-account' content='ca-host-pub-1556223355139109'/> <meta name='google-adsense-platform-domain' content='blogspot.com'/> <!-- --><style type="text/css">@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;} </style> </head><body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/927835929654829086?origin\x3dhttp://milliondollarlove.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Thursday, April 5, 2012

I was researching & came across this...

Link: http://ask.metafilter.com/15186/How-do-employers-regard-a-degree-in-Philosophy

I had the good fortune to do a philosophy degree at a fairly good private college, and while there I heard a CEO of a large company explaining his thoughts on the topic. Basically, he says, it's like this:

Let's say you major in business. That's all well and good and you'll probably do well for yourself. But you'll also probably be locking yourself in to a lifetime of middle management -- you'll get a Lexus and a nice house in the 'burbs, but that's the only thing you can ever hope to do with your business degree; business majors are basically worthless for anything else, especially upper-level positions.

If instead you major in a field which emphasizes critical thinking and analysis skills, like philosophy, you're hirable for a lot of other things. As one business person joked at a careers event, "I can hire a philosophy major and teach him everything he'd have learned in business school in six weeks. But if I hire a business major I'll never be able to teach him to think."

And my own experience with my philosophy degree has been pretty good; I'n two years out of college and spent the first year working for a Fortune 500 company. Now I'm self-employed, starting my own business (web design and development) and seeing how that goes.

Lollipops

Chinyee
Chuiying
Denise
Elaine
Evon
Herman
Jessica
Jiayu
Ken
Kengchiaw
Sharon
Shirlyn
Stephanie
Tracy
Vanessa Tumblr
Vivien
Wanyu
Wenxin
Wilson
Yanling
Yanyan
Yujing
Zhangke
Zhilin

Credits


Layout made by Nienkju.